Friday, March 23, 2012

Freddy Adu

Freddy Adu. And the Olympic team. It seems to be a match made in heaven. Adu is the captain of the U.S. Olympic effort, and last night he looked spectacular. Passes were crisp. Through balls were on target. And that goal! What a shot! A rifle from right outside the box. Even if the Cuban goalie had been able to get in front of it, I doubt that he would have been able to stop it.

But more importantly, he looked in control of the game. He knew where he wanted his passes to go, and who was to receive them. And it was a sight to behold. The U.S. dominated Cuba, and picked up 3 points in Conacaf qualifying for the Olympics.

The only question i have, as a Union fan, is where has this Freddy Adu been?!?!? The buzz around him when he signed got my blood flowing. Then he played. And I thought, its midseason, the team has already gelled, and Adu just needs a chance to adjust. Then the offseason came, and he made his comments in Spain. But then he had a preseason with the Union. O.K. I thought, now Adu will be ready for the MLS. And Portland showed that it may not be the case.

But then I saw last night. And Adu looked like the Adu everyone has wanted to see. The Adu that I want to see. My question is, can it carry over? Why did Adu look so good? Was it his natural skill(my hope), or the players around him(my fear)? Brek Shea, Juan Agudelo, these are quality players. But the Union have quality players too. Pajoy looks to be a force up front, and Mwanga looked solid in the attacking role for the U.

So can Adu take this form and transfer it to the MLS? He better.

No comments:

Post a Comment